Sunday, February 15, 2009

Swimmer of the Month - I

So finally, decided to do this crazy thing also. With all passion and high spirit( aka "josh"), decided to join swimming classes. With two friends, went to enroll for class.

"So we would be expert swimmer", I asked while giving form. I must confess that my stress was on 'expert' word ;-). It is just impossible to be an expert in just 21 days - but no taxes on high hopes( or call it my fertile imagination, given the impracticality of it ! ). By the way, 21 seems most commonly used/abused word. So many books having title like 'Learn how to be Superhero in 21-days( replace Superhero with any term you like - actor, manager, poet, singer, musician or worst a swimmer!! ).

"You would learn basics" the reply came.

Of course, this was bit discouraging. But hopeful ( or hopeless is more appropriate word!?) guys like me believe in looking at brighter side of things. I consoled myself that 'basic learning' is for normal learners and I would do more. Never knew, these high hope were soon going to be drowned in the pool water ;-)

So we finally started with full 'josh'. First few days were easy. Splash legs left right left, do basic hand movements and other sort of basic things. It was more of play and we enjoyed it. Frankly, swimming looked easy and 21-days seemed more for such basic thing.

As days passed, coach pushed into real swimming. Now, the pool appeared wider and longer, initial high hopes hit the reality and watered down. Suddenly, 21-days seemed less time! Lungs started saying 'oxygen mange more' while swimming. Respect for Michael Phelps ( the guys who won 8 gold at Beijing Olympic in swimming ) increased !

Swimming require technique, stamina, persistence and much more. If you think these are inappropriate words, then try and you would not have different opinion ;-) At least, I know it hard way!

Classes are still on ( will end on 25-Feb) and I am struggling! Now the water feels cold, pool looks wider and I no more want to be an 'expert' swimmer! Basically, it would be good for me if I stop abusing 'expert' word ;-) Have set a realistic target for myself. To cross 21-metre( a coincidence that pool width is 21! ) wide pool from the deeper side. 16-feet depth is too much, psychologically speaking ;-). So this is my 'do or drown' mission now and want to finish it before classed ends.

You can wish me luck. I would need it when in 16-feet deep water and no one around ;-)

Going for swimming class now!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Suresh, good to see you blog..
    and yeah knowing you, I am sure you will achieve your target.

    but Sur da, in any case, please reach atleast up to 6-feet depth. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude try the different swimming styles as well.... And 'yes' the target to touch the 'nadir' of the pool still rermains.. :)

    ReplyDelete