Friday, June 19, 2009

Journey into Paradise - A Short Pictorial Essay

Few days back, we, a group of 6 nature junkies, made a journey into paradise. Remembrance is still fresh, eyes are still green and we are still into feel of paradise. I am talking about ride from Ooty to coonoor in Nilgiri Railways.


Nilgiri Mountain Railway is UNESCO world heritage site. The train, popularly known as toy train as other hill railways, runs between Ooty and coonoor (and beyond that). The track between Ooty and Coonoor is around 18 km and passes through amazingly beautiful nature sights. There are tunnels, bends in the track, tea plantations, depths and heights of hills, beautiful towns and nature views on the way. See some of the images taken from inside train.



The train crossing old bridge



ketti - an intermediate station between Ooty and Coonoor, there are four stations


Train starts at 9 in morning form Ooty. We were bit late as usual - we always have some valid technical reason to be late (people call that ‘excuse’) - but somehow managed to get into train. There were 4 or 5 small coaches in train; it was more like a big bus than a train if you compare with mammoth trains. Climate was beautiful, bit cold and it was drizzling too. There were few over exicted kids in coach and I could sense their ill intention - to shout out load, all the way. Anyway, that was good, when I feel like shouting I could use the excuse that kids were shouting and as a reaction I did that (as per Newton's law -for those who are looking scientific explaination ;-)



The train track route


The train started and so did the kids. Of course, I joined kinds, "Hurrayy.... hoooooo..." was the sound all around. An old man sitting near was looking at me with some surprise in eyes when we were shouting. He must be cursing us for noise pollution!!


Words would not do justice, neither I claim it is possible to describe the 'feel' of journey. There were tea estates one side, some old bridges on the way, lush greenery around and tunnels on way. The climate was soothing and drizzling added to its beauty. We saw some remote houses, clouds touching the hill, extreme calmness. The feelings was of ecstasy and being into paradise. At least, paradise of my dreams would not be much different!!




Tea plantation -Ooty is famous for tea estates



Lake on the way surrounded by green

After 1 hour, we reached coonoor. By this time, I have exhausted much of energy in expressing delight by shouting, though it was bit of shameful to know that kids were still in full passion!! I guess they had their full breakfast, while I did not have any (a lame duck excuse ;-)


3 comments:

  1. Hi Sweetheart you are so depth in your heart, I never known of this....like you me too a nature lover cum nature hunter.....Thanks a lot man, to show me so beautiful journey....Good keep it up....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope u recognize me but for your ease I am Neeraj Bunker who wrote u the first comment on this blog writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Pics, lets plan a trip(trek) together sometime
    - Abishek

    ReplyDelete